Saturday, June 13, 2009

Push


Lyla is rolling purposefully now. Show her an interesting toy and put it out of reach, and she'll usually find a way to get to it. There's a lot of grunting and occasionally farting, and she doesn't always take a direct path, but she gets there.

I like to watch her struggle. I even like it when she gets frustrated as long as the frustration doesn't become anguish. I think about students I've known who don't persevere at much of anything, and then I think about the toy that's four inches away from Lyla's hand, her arm stretched to the max. I could so easily give it to her.

But no. If our life continues on its current path, Lyla might not have many real struggles. We certainly don't want her to get used to having things handed to her. And I guess there's no better time to start than now, with that plastic turtle whose head is so fun to suckle. Just a little closer, Lyla. Push it! But watch out for the TV stand.

No comments: