Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Wave


This is my 200th consecutive day of posting on this blog, so I'm glad I have something amazing to write about. I've solved the mystery of where waving comes from.

Lyla started waving at us the other day. Specifically, she raised her arm and opened and closed her hand. We did it back, and now it's a game. We're not sure she's aware it's a game, but that's okay.

But see, I recognize what she's doing. A baby has an instinct early on to help with her mother's milk production. With her tiny hand, the baby massages the breast as if to say, "You can do it!" It's the baby equivalent of a football game ass slap.

Lyla's hand movement during the wave was identical to her boob rubbing technique. Therefore, Lyla wasn't waving at all. She was thinking about milk. Not realizing this, we simply mimicked her movement, and a new way to communicate was born.

It has occurred to me that I might be full of crap. I hope not, though, because I like the idea of the wave coming from parents and babies who aren't on the same wavelength.

No comments: