Thursday, June 11, 2009

Responding


Whimpers and whines on the baby monitor even a month ago always concerned us. Is she crying? Not really. Well, kind of. Do you want to check on her? Let's both go.

Now it's more like, yeah she's practically asleep.

We're better able to navigate her cries, and we know that some should be left alone. The halfhearted, tired-in-the-crib cry, for instance, is not one you want to walk in on. Whereas before we could rub her head a little and take her from tired to sleeping, now the moment we enter the room the tired cry becomes the murderous shriek. Leave her alone, though, and she'll usually just put herself to sleep.

But she's still a baby. Last night Lyla went from zero to wailing banshee the second she touched the mattress. I picked her up and rocked her to sleep before putting her down again as gently as possible. Then I went downstairs to the sound of my daughter screaming baby profanities at me. Five minutes, I told myself, setting the microwave timer.

She was fast asleep in four. Odd creature.

No comments: