Thursday, June 4, 2009

Flipper


At one of the daycare centers we didn't end up choosing, I noticed two infants napping on their stomachs. Wanting to appear stern and discriminating, I said, "Do you typically allow infants to sleep on their stomachs here?" This was the same center whose director didn't know what baby sign language was. The three women in the room stammered that the babies started on their backs but flipped themselves over to their stomachs.

I knew this was probably fine, but I still replied with a "Hmm" designed to neither accept nor reject the explanation. At Lyla's six month checkup a couple weeks later, her pediatrician confirmed that if a baby can roll around, the chances of SIDS decrease significantly, and stomach sleeping is okay if the baby initiates it.

So this morning, Julie shook me awake and said I had to come see something. I plodded after her into the nursery and there was Lyla, fast asleep on her stomach.

I flipped her back anyway, just in case.

No comments: