Monday, December 1, 2008

Backwards

It's high time that I start adjusting my sleep to Lyla's schedule. Before last night, I figured that with a little practice, Lyla would sleep at night when we did. But Julie has a sneaky recessive gene somewhere that got passed down to Lyla; it's the backwards sleep gene. Day is night, and night is day.

Lyla is a wonderful, beautiful baby, but clearly in this picture you can see the capacity for nighttime evil.


Last night I slept roughly for two hours. And by "roughly" I mean both approximately and not smoothly.

I've learned that in utero babies sleep when the mom is awake and sing show tunes when the mom sleeps. I wish I would've known this earlier. I would've insisted that Julie become nocturnal during the pregnancy so that when the baby popped out she would be normal. But a nocturnal pregnant lady might have been twice as demanding as a normal pregnant lady...however in retrospect perhaps worth the risk.

Both of us are cognizant of the importance of holding and soothing the screaming 11-day-old. Lyla needs to learn to trust humans, and if we go the "Let her cry" route, then we'll turn her into a soulless pyromaniac by age four. But last night we soothed her until about 3:00 AM. She wasn't sick, and she wasn't really hungry. She was just pissy.

But she was happy as can be today. I got home from school, and we practiced tummy time to build her crawling strength. It didn't work so well, as she was much more interested in resting up for tonight's festivities.

No comments: