Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Wedge


I bought Lyla a wedge-shaped pillow for under her bassinet sheet. If you had a miniature foam bicycle and wanted to take it off a jump, you might ask me to lend you this pillow. I would say no, get your own, and wear a foam helmet. The thinking behind the pillow is that some babies, when slightly elevated, sleep better and spew all over themselves less.

We've had a couple nights where Lyla has been gurgly and disagreeable while we're trying to sleep. She doesn't appreciate that her mother and I would prefer that she spit up during the day or not at all. When she begins swearing loudly from the bassinet, Julie will shove the binky back in her mouth only to find that the child needs a new nightie because the current one is soaked in regurgitated curds.

So after the new nightie I take her downstairs and put her in the little bouncy chair thing, and she goes right to sleep while I snooze on the couch. Which got me wondering if there was some way to prop her up in the bassinet. See, we've learned that if you start brainstorming ways to make your infant a more productive member of the household, you'll probably dream up products that already exist.

Last night Lyla slept for six hours, the equivalent of a drive to Duluth and back from where we live, complete with a stop at Tobies for coffee and a cinnamon roll. Unbelievable. Now I can only imagine that this night, when placed among others in the grand scheme of things, will emerge as an anomaly, but it could also be that this wedge pillow is an amazing creation sent to Earth by God or aliens.

I should also mention that Julie was not a believer at first and in fact (you won't believe this) criticized this product when I pulled it out of the box. We'll see how she feels after a good night's sleep.

*Update: 24 hours later*

After sleeping for most of the day, Lyla partied for most of the night. Oh well. If it seems too good to be true, it often is.

No comments: