Saturday, February 21, 2009

Grounded


I'm ready for Julie and me to take a short trip together. Grandparents could babysit. We have milk in the freezer. A four-hour plane ride would find us in Mexico and on the beach by noon. Then two or three days later, we'd be home.

When I proposed this idea to Julie, I learned that it was her current worst nightmare.

"I dream about waking up away from the Goo."

"So?"

"So she's not there. She's somewhere else, and I have to find her, and it's a horrible dream."

"The Goo would be fine. We have like 17 gallons of breast milk. She'd have fun without us."

"Absolutely not. Plus, what would I do, pump on the beach every three hours?"

"Um, well, the pump could be your carry-on, right?"

"Talk to me in December."

I guess she's right. I'm just the dad. My breasts are not useful at all, so there's no competing with the mother-daughter bond. Generally I'm smart enough to know when a subject should be dropped.

She'll come around. And until she does, maybe we can go camping in Iowa or something.

2 comments:

Grandma Jackie said...

Just remember, Grandpa and I would be happy to babysit anytime -- for any length of time!! We'd LOVE to take care of Baby Lyla!!!

Anonymous said...

we'll babysit too...anytime, just say the word. Have fun in Mexico...let us know when you're dropping Lyla off. :)