Thursday, February 26, 2009

Unreal


Julie just mailed a letter to Senator Amy Klobuchar advocating an update to the Family Medical Leave Act to at least make it compete with most third-world countries. It's a great letter, well crafted and researched, and of course written from the perspective of a new mother coming to terms with her own maternity leave ending.

She also posted the letter on her Facebook page and has gotten several comments from people, all positive. However, one of her "friends" emailed her that he "completely disagrees" with her, that "they should get rid of maternity leave all together," and that he would love to "get together and debate this topic over coffee or lunch."

I don't think coffee or lunch is going to happen.

I'm trying to imagine, especially as a man, finding myself compelled to initiate a debate with a woman about maternity leave while she's on maternity leave. If Julie ever does take him up on his offer, I might lurk behind a newspaper in the corner of the cafe, just to see if he's real.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that he is not her "friend" any more. Some people are too callous to have friends in the real world.

Susi said...

Unbelievable! But good for Julie! Since I'm one of those weird people that doesn't have a facebook page, I'd love to see a copy of the letter. My sister used to work with Amy - maybe she and I could write another letter and send it, too.