Friday, February 6, 2009

Plan


Julie and I have another date night approaching. We're not going out on Valentine's Day, instead opting for the evening before, which happens to be Friday the 13th. We considered sushi, but do you really want to eat raw fish on a notoriously unlucky day?

Julie's mom and sister will babysit tag team that night. We've already talked it over with Lyla, who promises (though I'm not sure she understands the concept) to behave herself.

Scheduled date nights have a certain added pressure now. We can't take them for granted because they happen so infrequently. It's the same thing that every new parent experiences, so it's not a profound or surprising topic. Still, I find myself a week in advance thinking about possible restaurants and what to do after. What movies are out? Should we do dinner and then movie, or the reverse? Is that too boring? When will another date night come along?

Perhaps there should be bowling. Lame.

I came home from school and Julie said, "We have to figure out what we're doing next Friday. It's stressing me out."

We need to chill. Date night can't turn into New Year's Eve, so over-planned and built up that it's ultimately disappointing.

But I should definitely get a haircut. Wash the car. Buy flowers. Make reservations. Polish the bowling ball.

No comments: