Saturday, August 15, 2009

Nosy


I picked Lyla up from daycare on Thursday, and she was fast asleep. Their crib area is set back from the play area, lights dimmed, and relatively peaceful. I stood around awkwardly for ten minutes or so before deciding to wake her up. One of the teachers pointed to the crib straight back; you couldn't see Lyla in it because a blanket was draped across the outside of the bars.

"That's a good idea," I said. "If Lyla thinks anybody anywhere is having fun without her, just try to get to her take a nap."

"Oh, we know," replied the teacher. "We figured out early on that Lyla needed the nosy blanket."

The nosy blanket! I find that hilarious. Also, for some reason it's fascinating to hear these teachers describe Lyla's behaviors at daycare--since she behaves exactly the same way at home. Specifically, the teacher highlighted how Lyla loves to crawl under the Exersaucer, how she loves to be passed from teacher to teacher, how when you pick her up she tries to climb to the top of you, and how lately she likes to look all around the room when you try to feed her.

These are the behaviors I'm undoubtedly missing today while at my friend's cabin (I'm writing this on Friday). With babies it always changes, so I suppose I'll get home on Sunday and hear about all sorts of crazy, bizarre, and wonderful new behaviors. It's funny: sitting here on Friday writing for Saturday and thinking about Sunday, I find I'm looking forward to coming home before I've actually left.

No comments: