Monday, August 3, 2009

School


Lyla starts school tomorrow, which is the euphemism we'll use in place of daycare. Daycare implies (rightly) that you need help taking care of your child during the day. School, on the other hand, implies better things. Oh, and also standardized testing, but mostly better things.

Today Julie and I took Lyla to visit the school. Here's what they had on the door:


Julie and I realized early on that our presence there made no difference at all to Lyla. Once she discovered the toys, she forgot about us and decided to destroy the room:


She also flirted shamelessly with two younger men.

Tomorrow will be odd. Julie and I will go together to drop Lyla off, and then Julie will head to work and I will head home. Julie has already been kind enough to prepare for me a list of ways I might occupy myself. "Clean the basement" is number one. I believe number two is "Polish the shingles," but I could be wrong since I pretty much stopped reading after number one.

Well anyway, hopefully tomorrow morning there won't be any tears. I speak, of course, of Julie.

No comments: