Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Enough


Is it possible to feed a baby too much, or is their natural instinct to regulate food intake themselves? I only ask because Lyla ate every two hours today, plus a 3-ounce bottle and a 4-ounce bottle this evening. And Julie's upstairs feeding her as I type this.

I'm not concerned about the breastfeeding. Julie has reported that when breastfeeding, Lyla will stop suddenly and look up and start "chatting" with her. Perhaps she's giving advice for foods Julie might avoid in the future to achieve a better milk taste, or perhaps she's just shooting the bull. But nevertheless, she stops, so it seems she knows when she doesn't feel like eating any more.

With a bottle, though, it's like there's a goal. I am a clean-plate-club guy in my own life, so I have a tendency to encourage Lyla to finish however many ounces I've poured for her. Is that right? Sometimes we'll stop for a burp or a shit, but then it's back to the bottle, task-oriented until it's gone, and she's generally game for it. And it's not like I'm the Kevin Spacey character from Se7en who force-feeds the guy spaghetti until he explodes, but I do wonder if there's a better way to put Lyla in charge of how much bottle milk she drinks.

The girl is in the midst of a growth spurt, that part is certain. And I'm more curious than worried, but I also don't want to predispose her brain to become like mine, which always wants to finish the bag of Sun Chips as soon as it's opened. Or God help me, Godiva chocolates. I bought two boxes on Presidents' Day (day after V-Day, so 50%-off) and they're both gone not a month later. So...like father like daughter?

3 comments:

Susi said...

Oh, she'll stop eating when she needs to. Anja used to take down 5-6 oz in a sitting at that age. She doesn't eat as much now, strangely enough.

But where on earth do you guys find those adorable clothes and bibs? I am always looking and never find stuff that cute!

Dan said...

Well thanks for the compliment, but I am not the one to ask!

Anonymous said...

Susi, believe it or not, the sweater she's wearing on this post is from H&M Baby. I generally find adorable things at Old Navy and Gap (on sale, of course!)

My favorite bibs, and Lyla's cutest, are from Carters with the velcro on the side and the waterproof layer between. You can find them at Target, but sometimes they are cheaper at the Carter's store in the MOA when they have bibs like 5 for 10 dollars or something. :)