Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Trips


I've only taken Lyla on minor errands these past few weeks, nothing that requires a diaper bag or bottle. I'm gearing up for next week, though, because I'm hell-bent on going to the zoo if it's at all nice outside.

I just Googled the phrase "hell-bent on going to the zoo" and confirmed that it's never been used throughout the course of human history.

A midday excursion breaks up the day nicely, for instance the grocery store. I'm kind of a grocery store diva, driving past a Super Target, Cub, Rainbow, and Festival on the way to glorious Lunds. I won't bore you with my reasoning except to say that I have never ever wanted to kill anyone at Lunds.

The only issue is their carts, which you can't bring to your car. If I'm by myself and it's a big week for groceries, I'll gladly carry three bags per hand rather than allow a bagger to help me to my car. With Lyla, however, I almost always need assistance, so then I really feel like a diva. "Right there in the 2002 Corolla please. Off with you now, young rogue; that will be all."

The other day I took Lyla on a beer run. Does this require explanation? We're having friends over tomorrow night. They might want beer. It wasn't one of those "Damn it, it's 8:30 in the morning and I already ran out of beer" situations.

So anyway, I've found when carrying a car seat into a liquor store, I have fewer beer options because most cases have two handles and I refuse to balance Lyla's car seat on a case of beer. I'm classy that way. The best one-handled case is Stella, so that's what we got.

But these mini-errands don't have the pressure of a longer one. When we go to the zoo, I'll need the diaper bag, a bottle, lots of diapers, and a change of clothes or two. Plus there's the possibility that Lyla will sleep the entire time and I'll be that creepy guy with the sleeping infant looking at the farm baby exhibit.

No comments: