Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Cowgirl


When lifting Lyla's legs during a diaper change, you grab one calf and then the second one in the same grip. Her legs automatically cross, and it's a tad strange. After reading the baby book, I learned that she's bowlegged, which makes me think of someone who's spent significant time atop a horse.


Baby bowleggedness is normal, a result of womb posture and the birthing process. It almost always goes away by itself. You can ask your pediatrician to take a gander at it, but you end up looking like a Chicken Little parent.

And speaking of her legs, I didn't realize that it's possible that she won't learn to crawl. Since conventional wisdom changed about sleeping position, babies spend significantly less time on their stomachs. As a result, their crawling muscles develop later, sometimes so late that they're ready to walk by the time they're ready to crawl.

But does bowleggedness go away even if babies don't crawl? If not, then I suppose Lyla has a promising future on the rodeo circuit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard that about the not crawling due to not being on their stomach thing. Makes sense, I guess. I never crawled anyway, though, just walked really early. My parents were told that was a sign that I was going to have mental development issues. Huh.