Saturday, January 10, 2009

Date


Last night Julie and I went on our first date without Lyla. Julie's mom and sister babysat, and we saw Slumdog Millionaire and ate at McCormick & Schmick's. If you haven't seen the movie, then drop everything now and go. And if you haven't eaten at M&S, then...well same thing.

I was told by several people, ruefully, that during our first date sans baby, all we'd do is talk about the baby. I thought that sounded pretty depressing, as though everything that defined our relationship, all the quirks and history, would be suddenly and irrevocably erased.

"So, can you believe the volume in her diapers lately?"

"Totally. Like, they're so absorbent."

"Yeah."

"You know, you bought perfumed baby wipes at Target the other day. I thought we talked about that."

"I think they smell nice."

"Well, they're full of chemicals."

"Other babies are fine with them."

"Other babies?"

That wasn't us, but that's what I pictured when I was warned about what I should expect. On the contrary, what we both found was that our conversation, despite being Lyla-centered, was utterly fascinating. We have an utterly fascinating baby, you see, so it makes perfect sense.

They say having a baby changes you, and I suppose that must be true. Really it just adds to your history and realigns your perspective. But I'm still the same guy, basically. We're still the same couple. It's just that we're working on this crazy, gargantuan project together, and that broadens the possibilities for discussion. Lyla is currently the most interesting topic, but maybe one day that'll change. I sure hope not.

No comments: