Friday, January 23, 2009

Sleepy


This is what Friday night looks like.

Lyla consistently wakes up once per night; I change her diaper before handing her to Julie for feeding.

I wonder how many dads say, "Well since you have to feed her anyway, why can't you change her too and let me sleep?" For me, and this is a secret, it's all about accruing as many husband points as possible so that I can spend them later on poker games and electronic upgrades. Oh, I almost forgot: I'm also completely whipped.

This morning I woke up and realized that there had been no 2:00 AM feeding, that in fact it was now 5:15 and I had not woken up since going to sleep. And don't think that Julie tip-toed around just to let me sleep. I'm the one who always wakes up first. No, Lyla slept through the night. Slept through the night!

However, Lyla's doctor told us that parents should avoid celebratory fist-pumping when their baby sleeps through the night for the first time. That's difficult advice to take. The reason we shouldn't get too excited about this is because a baby's growth plateaus and spikes. The first time a baby sleeps through the night, she is simply in the midst of a growth plateau. Before long, her growth will spike, and she will once again demand feedings at cruel, inappropriate hours.

But isn't it also possible that our daughter will be the exception, the perfect sleeper every single night from now until she begins night shifts for her medical residency? Hey, we can hope.

No comments: