Friday, May 29, 2009

Twenties


I turn 30 in less than an hour. Technically as a 30-year-old, I'll still be in my 20s, right? I mean, the 21st century didn't start until 2001. It's important to be mathematically accurate when telling people your age, so whenever someone asks me mine this year, I'll tell them I'm in my late 20s.

Will that make me a douche-bag?

"Hey Mr. K., how old are you?"

"I'm in my late 20s."

"Twenty what?"

"Uh, thirty."

Then the lengthy mathematical explanation will result in the formula Mr. K. = douche-bag. That's no good. Better just be straight up about it. I'm glad I thought this through beforehand, while I'm still actually in my late 20s.

When Lyla turns 10, I'll be 40. Yikes.

*Update 12 hours later*

I'm 30. I'm in my 30s. Feeling fine.

1 comment:

Jael said...

ahhh...unfortunately, unlike centuries, we start at year 0. So, in fact, as a new "30-yr-old," you are actually starting your 31st year.

This fact was much more exciting when I turned 17 and 20 than it is as a 29-yr-old.